Saturday 13 March 2010

SPORT: Alan Gordon RIP - Respects From Hibees, Jambos...and Fish

MARK McLAUGHLIN
Edinburgh Evening News
27 February 2010

Last respects paid to Hibs and Hearts legend Alan Gordon

HE was a city footballing legend - in both green and maroon.

And yesterday famous faces from music and politics joined former players to pay tribute to a man described as a "true citizen of Edinburgh".

More than 200 mourners bid farewell to Alan Gordon, the only man to cross the footballing divide in both Edinburgh and Dundee, at a service at Warriston Crematorium.

Gordon, who died earlier this month aged 65 after a long battle with cancer, played for Hearts, Hibs, Dundee United and Dundee in a career that endeared him to players and fans of all colours.

The pews were like a Who's Who of city footballing lore with legendary Hibee Eddie Turnbull joining his 'Famous Five' teammate Lawrie Reilly to pay their respects.

Gordon would become one of Turnbull's star players in his 'Turnbull's Tornados' team of the 1970s alongside Jimmy O'Rourke and Alex Cropley, who were also at yesterday's service.

Former Celtic manager Gordon Strachan returned to Scotland from his current position at Middlesbrough for the funeral.

Other notable faces included Hibs chairman Rod Petrie, Peter Cormack and Ralph Challachan who shared Gordon's distinction of playing for both Capital clubs, and Hibs heroes Paul Kane and Keith Wright.

Famous fans from outside football included Marillion singer and lifelong Hibs fan Fish.

He said: "I would never be so bold as to say that he was a friend but he was a player that I greatly admired as a teenager. Being six foot five myself, it was good to see a big tall guy knocking in the goals, and I used to wish that I could play that way. I was lucky to have met him a few times. He was a charming, intelligent man and very different from your stereotypical footballer. I wish I had known him better.

"One of my greatest memories was watching him play in the 7-0 game."

Standing in the opposite terraces that day was Gorgie councillor and Hearts fan Eric Milligan, who had known Gordon since he was a boy at Murrayburn Primary.

He said: "I remember the day I heard that Alan had turned down Rangers to play for Hearts, which was fantastic for me as I got to watch him train under my hero Willie Bauld.

"Bauld took him under his wing and I was mesmerised watching them practice together, and I followed Alan's career from that day forward.

"Despite his great Hibs career he was always part of the Hearts fold, and in later years I would still tease him about scoring two goals against us in that 7-0 game.

"He said I could console myself in the fact that he put far more goals past Hibs than he ever scored for them.

"But all that aside, he was immensely proud that he had played for both city teams. He was a true citizen of Edinburgh."

Yesterday's service was led by Ailsa Maclean, chaplain at Gordon's former school George Heriots. Friends and family retired to Goldenacre Rugby Club for drinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment