Monday 21 June 2010

DIGEST: 21 June 2010

MARK McLAUGHLIN
Daily Digest
21 June 2010

I've decided to start a new digest of my own daily reading. Like the book reviews in the Personal Reading section, it should give an idea of what I'm reading when I'm not reporting on Edinburgh. Given that I don't get much time to read these articles while I'm busy writing others, let alone blog them, I'll need to see how regularly I can keep this up.


General Franco gave list of Spanish Jews to Nazis (The Guardian)

It was the list that would have sent thousands more Jews to their deaths in Auschwitz and other extermination camps run by Adolf Hitler's Nazi regime during the second world war, but this time the victims were to be Spaniards.

Israel bows to pressure and agrees to ease Gaza blockade (The Guardian)

Israel agreed tonight to a significant easing of its blockade of Gaza, under intense pressure from the international community after its deadly interception last month of boats attempting to break the siege.

Plan to pump water into Dead Sea makes environmentalists see red (The Guardian)

The gradual disappearance of the Dead Sea has alarmed environmentalists, industrialists and tourist authorities for years. It has been caused mainly by three countries – Israel, Jordan and Syria – diverting an astonishing 98% of its source, the once-surging Jordan river, to provide water for their citizens.

No comments:

Post a Comment