Tuesday 17 November 2009

FEATURE: The Most Stylish Woman in Edinburgh?

By MARK McLAUGHLIN
Edinburgh Evening News
17 November 2009

This article is proof that could make a Grazia style writer one day. After the week I've had putting corsages on Christmas trees and writing about handbags I really need some beer, steak and football.

SHE'S living proof that it can pay to get dressed to the nines for an afternoon stroll.

When Megan Cunningham pulled on her leather-look leggings, strappy shoes and exclusive Alexander McQueen scarf for an afternoon's shopping on Princes Street, she turned some very influential heads.

The 20-year-old hairdressers' receptionist from Morningside has just been voted one of Britain's most stylish women, following a chance encounter with women's magazine Grazia.

The glossy sent a team of "style hunters" to 11 UK cities in August, and Edinburgh hunters were won over by Megan's bold but understated style.

Megan, who works at Cheynes hairdressers in Bruntsfield, said: "It was completely random. They just came up to me and started asking questions about my look, and taking some photographs.

"I thought it was just market research but I was surprised when they called me two months later and said I'd made it through to the regional finals of a competition and had to get people to vote for me.

"I didn't expect to win. People always say that while I look really glamorous I wear too much black, but I think it looks good on me."

The former James Gillespie's girl was inspired by her mum Donna, 46, a Standard Life receptionist, particularly in the shoulder-padded Warehouse top she was sporting on the day.

She said: "I love shoulder pads. I used to laugh at pictures of my mum in the 1980s but they're totally back in fashion.

"The rest of my outfit was quite simple.

I like to call the bag I'm carrying 'vintage Warehouse' because I bought it so long ago but I still use it all the time.

"I did get some really negative comments on the website about the leggings. A lot of people said they looked trashy and cheapened the outfit, but everyone's got different tastes, I suppose.

"While most of her outfit is high street fashion, the genuine Alexander McQueen scarf would normally set you back more than £350.

Megan added: "My cousin brought it back from the States. It was only £120."

The 11 winners of the first Grazia Style Hunter Awards are featured in today's Grazia.

Grazia's Editor-in-chief Jane Bruton said: "We were overwhelmed by the number of super-stylish women we discovered and Megan is an outstanding and well-deserved winner."

No comments:

Post a Comment